The past 14 hours have been a whirlwind of fun: last night my book club met to drink a few bottles of wine while discussing the horrendous novel All the Birds in the Sky (review coming next week!). This morning was even invigorating, because I was finally able to login to Pokemon Go, the mobile game that’s taken over the globe. I’ve been gallivanting around San Francisco hoping to catch them all!
But now it’s time to get serious…I have a confession to make.
In full disclosure, I have a terrible habit of filing away articles for my blog, then forgetting that they exist. Every time my cursor hovers over the bookmarks folder on my browser, I cringe and try to ignore the growing list as best I can.
But 2016 is half over, and I just can’t take it anymore! Time for some summer cleaning!
Here are the first six months of literary news in review, in case you really, really missed the boat, or just want to relive the excitement!
- “Damn, you’re not reading any books by white men this year? That’s so freakin brave and cool” (Jezebel)
- “In literature and in life, men and women still want different things in a mate” (Jezebel)
- “One weird trick that makes a novel addictive” (Jezebel)
Harry Potter News
- “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to be eighth book” (BBC)
- “J.K. Rowling’s History of Magic in North America was a travesty from start to finish” (io9)
- “Ava DuVernay confirmed to direct A Wrinkle in Time” (IndieWire)
- “Inside the peculiar new home of Tim Burton’s Miss Peregrine” (Entertainment Weekly)
- “6 adaptations that fixed the book (according to the author)” (Cracked)
- “First Look as Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf on A Series of Unfortunate Events set” (Spinoff Online)
- “Will drama about young William Shakespeare picked up to series by TNT” (Deadline)
- “Placing Literature maps out real places you’ve read about in books” (Lifehacker)
- “The mass-market edition of To Kill a Mockingbird is dead” (New Republic)
Can you tell I’m a fan of Gawker Media publications? After reading this list, what literary news made you most excited? And if I missed any headlines, please send them my way!