This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is all about television-related topics. As TV has evolved from sitcoms with standalone plots in favor of long-form storytelling, books are becoming more popular as the go-to place for outstanding content for the small screen.
I’m super excited to finish reading Neil Gaiman’s American Gods, in anticipation of the STARZ adaptation coming next year, but to celebrate this TTT, here are the best TV series based on books (according to the humble opinions of me and my friends!):
- Best wedding scene: “Game of Thrones” (2011-present) based on the series by George R.R. Martin
- Best accents: “Outlander” (2014-present) based on the series by Diana Gabaldon
- Best six-pack abs: “Poldark” (2015-present) based on the series by Winston Graham
- Best Clinton biography: “House of Cards” (2013-present) based on the novel by Michael Dobbs
- Best swordwielding: “Legend of the Seeker” (2008-2010) based on The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
- Best wardrobes: “Sex and the City” (1998-2004) based on the novel by Candace Bushnell
- Best backstabbing: “Gossip Girl” (2007-2012) based on the series by Cecily von Ziegesar
- Best for Millenials: “Younger” (2015-present) based on the novel by Pamela Redmond Satran
- Best “Will they? Won’t they?” chemistry: “Elementary” (2012-present) based on the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Best culinary show: “Hannibal” (2013-2015) based on the novels by Thomas Harris
I’ve listed some fan-favorites, and I’m sure that there will be a lot of overlap on other bloggers’ TTTs, but let me know if I missed a TV adaptation you love!